A recipe featuring local produce is the best ever! These blueberries are fresh out of Wye Mountain Berry Farm where the kids and I spent a summer morning loading up on buckets ‘o berries.
To my surprise, even after all of them had their fill on the car ride home, we still had POUNDS of blueberries left. I froze some, but with the remaining fresh berries, I made these JUMBO Blueberry Muffins!
This is a vegan, 100% plant-based recipe…but they don’t really quality as *healthy*! They feature coconut oil and some sugar. I really wanted a real pastry, and something the kids would enjoy, as well. They turned out really good, and yes I can definitely eat a whole one, even though they are colossal.
I didn’t include a crumble topping in the recipe, but if you like that, just stir together 1/4 c brown sugar, 1/4 c flour, 2 T of melted vegan butter, 2 T oats, and some cinnamon. Then dust that on the top of the muffins before putting them in the oven.
Jumbo Blueberry Muffins
- 1.5 c flour
- 1.5 c spelt flour
- 1 c sugar
- 2/3 c non-dairy milk
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 t salt
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 c coconut oil, melted
- 2 T flax meal (ground flax seed)
- 3 T water
- 2 c blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350
- First, make the flax egg in a medium size mixing bowl. Combine the flax meal with the tap water, stir to combine, and set aside.
- Then, make the sour milk in a cup or small bowl: combine the apple cider vinegar with the non-dairy milk, and set aside.
- Combine all your dry ingredients: both flours, salt, baking power, baking soda, and sugar. Add the blueberries to the dry ingredients, and toss to coat in the flour.
- Add the flax egg to the sour milk, then stir in the vanilla extract and coconut oil.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir to incorporate.
- Line your muffin tins with liners, or use a non-stick spray. Spoon in the batter so that the muffin mix is about level with the tins. Then put in the oven, and bake until a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Let cool fully before taking out of pan. Enjoy!